Often in January, I see people choose theme word for the year.
Well, this year, a theme word chose me. For our new school year the word "humbleness" kept creeping into my vision.
I am seriously laughing at myself. Years ago a Bible study friend said she was working on becoming more humble. I thought this was a bit foolish (though I knew my friend to be NO fool). You pray for patience and you receive opportunities to grow in patience (UGH!). So if you pray for humbleness, the same is true, right? Probably.
But the point is what I was missing. The fruit of humility is deeper relationships... because I am not in the way! Deeper relationship with God and therefore a deeper relationship my husband, my family...
Humbleness before God. It makes sense for me to humble myself before my creator, who loved me first and always wants the best for me. Makes sense, but also my human nature pulls me away continually. I could expound on this, but others have done it better than I could ever do.
Humbleness before others in my community. Even though I have been homeschooling for two years and I am one of three experts (God, my husband and myself) on my child, others have great and helpful insights.
Firstly, I thought that morning time/circle time was beneath my daughter and I. I saw it as a preschool practice, not the useful tool in our homeschool I am seeing it can be. Thanks to Pam Barnhill's "Your Morning Basket" (which I just listened to because I has run out of "other" podcasts) my thinking has changed. We are adding this practice this year. I know my daughter will eventually appreciate it as we find what works for us. It is adding some structure that is missing from our day as well as give us some opportunities to experience more together.
Humbleness before my daughter. By this I don't mean I give up my authority as her mother and teacher. I am humbling my spirit to become as teachable as I expect her to be. I have intentionally put things in our learning plan that I do not know (or know well) so that I may learn beside her as a partner. I have done this with Latin. Since I was learning beside her and sometimes she would learn a concept or skill faster than I would so then would teach me. I know from experience that she will learn better and deeper this way.
Let the fun begin...
Well, this year, a theme word chose me. For our new school year the word "humbleness" kept creeping into my vision.
I am seriously laughing at myself. Years ago a Bible study friend said she was working on becoming more humble. I thought this was a bit foolish (though I knew my friend to be NO fool). You pray for patience and you receive opportunities to grow in patience (UGH!). So if you pray for humbleness, the same is true, right? Probably.
But the point is what I was missing. The fruit of humility is deeper relationships... because I am not in the way! Deeper relationship with God and therefore a deeper relationship my husband, my family...
Humbleness before God. It makes sense for me to humble myself before my creator, who loved me first and always wants the best for me. Makes sense, but also my human nature pulls me away continually. I could expound on this, but others have done it better than I could ever do.
Humbleness before others in my community. Even though I have been homeschooling for two years and I am one of three experts (God, my husband and myself) on my child, others have great and helpful insights.
Firstly, I thought that morning time/circle time was beneath my daughter and I. I saw it as a preschool practice, not the useful tool in our homeschool I am seeing it can be. Thanks to Pam Barnhill's "Your Morning Basket" (which I just listened to because I has run out of "other" podcasts) my thinking has changed. We are adding this practice this year. I know my daughter will eventually appreciate it as we find what works for us. It is adding some structure that is missing from our day as well as give us some opportunities to experience more together.
Humbleness before my daughter. By this I don't mean I give up my authority as her mother and teacher. I am humbling my spirit to become as teachable as I expect her to be. I have intentionally put things in our learning plan that I do not know (or know well) so that I may learn beside her as a partner. I have done this with Latin. Since I was learning beside her and sometimes she would learn a concept or skill faster than I would so then would teach me. I know from experience that she will learn better and deeper this way.
Let the fun begin...
Comments
Post a Comment
Lets talk some more about educating our children!